Monday, April 13, 2009

Let Me Hold You Longer

This was sent to me through Facebook, and has really tugged at my heart. So many times we get so caught up in doing things, that we don't even realize how fast our children are growing up right before our eyes.
To all the parents out there, this one's for you...

Let Me Hold You Longer

Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts:
First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst.
But one day you will move away and leave to me your past,
And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts...

The last time that I held a bottle to your baby lips.
The last time I lifted you and held you on my hip.
The last night when you woke up crying, needing to be walked,
When last you crawled up with your blanket, wanting to be rocked.

The last time when you ran to me, still small enough to hold.
The last time you said you'd marry me when you grew old.
Precious, simple moments and bright flashes from your past----
Would I have held on longer if I'd known they were your last?

Our last adventure to the park, your final midday nap,
The last time when you wore your favourite faded baseball cap.
Your last few hours of kindergarten, those last days of first grade,
Your last at bat in little league, last colored picture made.

I never said good-bye to all your yesterdays long passed.
So what about tomorrow----will I recognize your lasts?

The last time that you catch a frog in that old back yard pond.
The last time you run barefoot across our fresh-cut lawn.
Silly, scattered images will represent your past.
I keep on taking pictures, never quite sure of your lasts...

The last time I comb your hair or stop a pillow fight.
The last time I pray with you and tuck you in at night.
The last time when we cuddle with a book, just me and you.
The last time you jump in our bed and sleep between us two.

The last piano lesson, last vacation to the lake.
Your last few weeks of middle school, last soccer goal you make.
I look ahead and dream of days that haven't come to pass.
But as I do, I sometimes miss today's sweet, precious lasts...


The last time that I help you with a math or spelling test.
The last time when I shout that yes, your room is still a mess.
The last time that you need me for a ride from here to there.
The last time that you spend the night with your old tattered bear.

My life keeps moving faster, stealing precious days that pass.
I want to hold on longer----want to recognize your lasts...
The last time you need my help with the details of a dance.
The last time that you ask me for advice about romance.

The last time that you talk to me about your hopes and dreams.
The last time that you wear a jersey for your high school team.

I've watched you grow and barely noticed the seasons as they pass.
If I could freeze the hands of time, I'd hold on to your lasts.

For some bright fall morning, you'll be going far away.
College life will beckon in a brilliant sort of way.
One last hug, one last good-bye. one quick hurried kiss.
One last to understand just how much you'll be missed.
I'll watch you leave and think how fast our time together passed.

Let me hold on longer, God, to every precious last.

Written by, Karen Kingsbury
From a book titled "Let me Hold you Longer"

3 comments:

Tonya said...

Such a beautiful piece! It's true. We do get caught up in things that we think we should be doing and meanwhile, our children are doing some of their lasts. Thank you for sharing that with us. It really touched me!

Bethany Patton said...

okay, I almost quit reading because I knew I would cry the whole way through that. I read it anyway.....and cried. Thank you for that though.

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!